Sunday 5 March 2023

Thought for 3 March

 Hebrews 10:24-25

Think of ways to encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds. 

And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.

In today’s reading, we are told to encourage one another to love each other and to do good things on behalf of our Lord.  In order to do this, we would need to meet together with fellow believers and the most obvious place to do this would be within a Christian Church.

When I look up the definition of the word ‘Church’, I am told that it is a building used for public Christian worship.  In Matthew 16:18, Jesus says ‘Now I say to you that you are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church and all the powers of hell will not conquer it’.  From what Jesus says here, I cannot see any reference to buildings.  Jesus wants men, women and children who believe in him to meet together in His name and this is guidance that should be adhered to and not neglected.

When groups of people get together under any banner, it normally involves volunteers being the organisers.  Being human, they might not always get it right but if you happen to be a member of a group and there’s aspects that you might disagree with, don’t sit in the shadows and criticise.  Be pro-active, volunteer to help the organisers and help influence change in a positive manner.  Never behave in a way that could demotivate someone who has given of their time and is genuinely trying to do what is right.  We need to encourage rather than have a negative impact on groups that meet under the banner of Christ.  Just look at the criticism being levelled at Kate Forbes at the moment for having the courage and conviction to declare her Christian faith.

Today is the world day of prayer and I would commend this to you to put a little time aside to pray for God’s intervention in the many problem areas in this world as well as the problem areas in our own lives.

Speaking of meeting together in groups, I don’t normally include ‘plugs’ in these articles but I’m making an exception today.  When the Guild at Holytown started meeting in the lesser hall on a Monday afternoon, the attendance has varied from about 12 to around 25.  The session is drawing to a close soon but on Monday next, Peter Gardner will be playing and he’s bringing along a friend who does some magic illusions so please come along at 1pm on Monday if you are able and enjoy some fellowship.

Prayer – Heavenly Father, thank You for loving me so much that while I was dead in my trespasses and sins, Christ completed His finished work on the Cross so that by grace through faith in Him, I might have forgiveness of sin and life everlasting. Thank You for those who taught me about the Lord Jesus and who demonstrated the love of Christ in their own lives, provoking me to love and good works in my own life. Help me to be so in tune with You that others may be provoked unto love and good works through my witness, as Christ lives in me and I in Him. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment