Friday 10 February 2023

Thought fir Fruday 10 February 2023

Exodus 23:4-5

“If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to return it. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you falling under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help them with it.”

We all need help sometimes, whether or not we admit it. There are many times I have been grateful for the help given to me. In every situation of life there comes a time when the offer of assistance is more than welcomed. This is especially true when the offer comes from someone unexpected.

A few weeks ago, I was nearly eaten by my chair. It’s a riser/recliner and I was reclining it to get my 30minutes of circulation therapy. Anyway, the chair was too close to the wall and the back of the chair jammed against the wall and moved forward as I pressed the button to reverse the action. The foot part then jammed against the floor while the rest kept moving and folded me inside. Just as well I live in sheltered housing and was able to call for help. A man visiting next door heard me and put his head round the door to see what was wrong then rushed in the extricate me from the man-eating chair. I was still in my pyjamas and had never set eyes on the man before, but he was a saviour at that moment, even allowing for the embarrassment I felt.

Who ever thought it would be a clever idea to put large castors on one of these chairs?

A situation like this is a time when we should all be willing to help whether they are friends or strangers, we should also be willing to accept help when it is offered. The mere acceptance of help shows appreciation of the offer.

In the story of the sheep and the goats Jesus tells us that we are expected to help each other. We do not want to be the one who is rejected because we did not show compassion to others in need.


Matthew 25:44 makes it clear that we would be the ones to suffer most;

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

Are you a sheep or a goat?

 

Prayer

Almighty God, You are the ultimate helper. We can depend on You to help us in all situations. You help so willingly that You sent Your Son to help us know the way to heaven and eternal life. Help the people of Turkey and Syria to be able to cope with so much devastation and loss of life. We pray that your mighty hand will sustain everyone involved in rescue and recovery in both areas. We thank You that we have never had the need to call for the help needed in this situation. Amen

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment