Saturday 27 July 2024

Thought for Friday, 26 July 2024

Proverbs 16:28

A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends.

In my mind, gossip is almost as bad as murder. Where one takes a person’s life the other takes a person’s reputation. Losing your reputation can take you into a spiral of despair that is hard to climb out of. Feeling as if you are worth nothing, and not even willing to try any more.

When I had missed one of our ladies for a few days, I asked if she was ill. I was told she just didn’t feel hungry and would get something later in her flat if she needed it. If you know me you know that didn’t sit well with me, so later on I went visiting. She told me to go away…. Me?!? No way Jose. So, I did tell a wee lie and said that I had no coffee and asked if she could give me some.

She finally opened the door and she looked defeated and started crying when she looked at me. I said, “I know I’m not beautiful, but I don’t think you should have been so open about it”. At least she kind of laughed and pulled me in, locking the door behind me.

It turns out that one of the other tenants had a visitor who used to know ??? and she told her friend that my wee friend put her daughter out because she was pregnant. It wasn’t true, obviously, so she locked herself away.

Ashamed, even though it was lies. It turns out her daughter eloped with the father of her baby, and they went to England to stay in his house while they made arrangements to move back home. ??? knew what her daughter had done and was fine with the couple’s decisions but being a very private person, had never told anyone else.

Everyone was happy, mum, daughter and sisters. At least until a friend of a friend told ‘truth’ as they saw it. I was really angry, what gives anyone the right to spread stories about other people? Thanks be to God that I was able to talk her into feeling slightly better. I even got a cup of coffee, then after a prayer I came back to my own flat.

The world is getting more and more self-motivated. Just to be able to pass that story on, this person did not think about what she was doing or if it was true. There are so many in our communities who have the same ideas, if they decide a thing is true then it must be and it’s OK to pass it on.

I am glad to say ??? and I have been reading the bible nearly every night since then. She used to attend church weekly but when her anxiety began to overwhelm her, she stopped going.

 

Prayer

Merciful Father, thank You for the times when we can help each other. We may not always know when we are needed to be a shoulder or a listener for someone who is troubled. Help us to be there for them at any time, as You and Your Son and holy Spirit are always there for us in times of trial. Give us wisdom to know when to let them talk, until (or if) they want us to speak. There have been many times when we have needed Your presence to comfort us so we know how important a listening ear is. Help us now, not to be bearers of gossip but to remember how devastating it can be in a person’s life. Be with all who have been the subject of gossip and please help them to rise above the pain. In Jesus’ name, amen.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment