Monday 10 July 2023

Thought for Monday 10 July

Matthew 6:9 NIVUK

‘‘This, then, is how you should pray:

‘“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,

 

An unknown author put together an interesting (convicting) summary of how we cannot pray the Lord's Prayer,

I cannot say “our” if I live only for myself.

I cannot say, “Father” if I do not endeavor each day to act like His child.

I cannot say, “hallowed be your name” if I am playing around with sin.

I cannot say “your kingdom come” if I am not allowing God to reign in my life.

I cannot say “give us this day our daily bread” if I am trusting in myself instead of in God’s provision.

I cannot say, “Forgive us our sins” if I am nursing a grudge or withholding forgiveness from someone else.

I cannot say, “lead us not into temptation” if I deliberately place myself in its path.

Can anyone else relate to this? I know my own life is too often subject to one or more of these statements. It is so hard to live up to the Lord’s Prayer, we ask for these things then do not give Our Father the chance to deliver. We make our own decisions, often without asking for His advice or viewpoint. No wonder we find ourselves with worries we did not anticipate.

At the General Synod the Archbishop of York had an issue with the words ‘Our Father,’ he says, “We think it’s normal when in fact, it is a disgrace, an affront to Christ and all he came to give us.” Which led Canon Dr Chris Sugden to ask: “Is the Archbishop of York saying Jesus was wrong, or that Jesus was not pastorally aware?

When Jesus taught His disciples the prayer He used the words, “Our Father,” He did not say, “Our Mother,” so Jesus was advising His disciples to pray to His Father and since we have been adopted into the family of God, God is also our Father. We have so much to thank Jesus Christ for, please do not let us throw all His gifts back at Him.

Jesus died the most horrific death of anyone else I have heard of, He did it willingly for us to be assured of our place with Him and the Father for eternity.

Prayer

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven; Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors, And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Heavenly Father please hear us when we pray as Your Son Jesus taught His disciples. We know You are our Father in heaven, who will never let us down. Help us to come to You in prayer when we have a problem, instead of trying to solve it on our own, for as Father, Son and Spirit You hold all answers to all things. Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment