Friday 28 July 2023

Thought for Friday 28 July 2023

Mark 8: 34,35

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples

and said: ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.

In The Cost of Discipleship Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote: “The cross is laid on every Christian. As we embark upon discipleship, we surrender ourselves to Christ in union with his death–we give over our lives to death. The cross is not the terrible end to an otherwise god-fearing and happy life, but it meets us at the beginning of our communion with Christ. When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.”

We will all die, that is the surest thing in life. However, a Christian can be even more sure of the life after death which Jesus promised when He died on the cross. Nothing in the world can compare with this promise I’m glad to say because even though we stumble on our way through life and make mistakes galore (at least I know I do) our Father in heaven is willing to accept us through the promise of His Son.

Jesus goes on in this passage to say in verse 36-38;

What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.’

It would be absolutely no good for us to lose our soul, nothing is worth that kind of loss. The very thought of it brings me out in a sweat and I am sure I am not the only one so affected. Jesus told us clearly what would happen if we sold our soul for things of this life.

I would hate for Jesus to be ashamed of me. I can be ashamed enough of myself at times without having to worry about that. I will never be ashamed to tell all and sundry about my love for Jesus Christ, my Saviour. I will give Him up for no-one and nobody can take Him from me.

Who would rather have a nice car or a big house or lots of goodies in this life only to find ourselves among the goats when they are separated from the sheep at judgement? Certainly not me, nor you, I’m sure.

We may sometimes wonder why those who have walked away from Jesus seem to be better off than His followers. Wonder no more! We are ensured endless life in the presence of Father, Son and Holy Spirit and nothing else is worth anything in this world.

Prayer

Loving Saviour, You gave Your life for us, how can we ever deny You? There is no way we would want to spend eternity apart from You and our Father. Please let the Spirit lead us on the narrow path You showed us. Teaching us as we travel the ways You taught the disciples when You lived on earth. We ask that You may help us to share our faith with those we meet daily so that we are productive in making disciples as we were commanded. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment