Monday 23 January 2023

Thought for Monday, 23 January 2023

 Acts 10: 10-15

…...Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, ‘Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.’                                                                                                               

‘Surely not, Lord!’ Peter replied. ‘I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.’

The voice spoke to him a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’

 

The daughter of one of our tenants is vegan and when she visits there is usually a lecture about how we should be eating plant-based foods because we have no right killing animals for food, they have as much right to life as we have.

Well, I’m sorry but I like meat and I have had to drastically reduce my intake of red meat because of gout, and I am not moving onto a plant-based diet for anyone. I have tried it. It was disgusting so I will avoid it in future. My sister, Jean, has been on my case for years but just because she does not eat anything that ‘had a face’ she thinks I should be the same. Just No!!!

When God was giving instructions to the Israelites on the trek through the wilderness, certain animals were considered unclean, and the people were told not to eat them. I often thought of this when I wanted to have pork for dinner (it did not stop me). This lasted until I read this passage properly and it seems to me that God was saying that it was now okay to eat every kind of food. Then when I was reading my bible the other night, I came to a passage which seemed to confirm my opinion.

It was in Mark 7 vv 2, 15 when the Pharisees and teachers were complaining about the disciples eating without washing their hands and Jesus replied, ‘Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.’

This does seem to be true, I have heard how the daughter speaks to her mum when she thinks they are alone.

Now I do not advocate eating without hand washing but what we eat and how we eat it does not make us bad people. What is bad is any criminal action or being unkind or nasty to other people, especially parents, whom we are supposed to honour.

 

Prayer

Loving Father, we thank You for the gift of food which You have provided since You created Adam and Eve. We are aware that some people rely on foodbanks to be able to feed their families, help us to do what we can to assist these projects. Lord God there is so much need in the world now in the aftermath of the covid 19 pandemic and ongoing wars around the world. So much need for Your help currently when more and more people are turning away from You, not realising that You are the only answer. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment