Friday 1 March 2024

Thought for 1 March 2024

Psalm 139:13-16

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.

  Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!  Your workmanship is marvellous – and how well I know it.  You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.  You saw me before I was born.  Every day of my life was recorded in your book.  Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. 

Today’s reading is another part of scripture that can be difficult for us to get our heads around.  The concept of God building or forming each one of us from scratch and knowing what we will make of that life he has given us is just something that is too challenging for our limited intellect and understanding to take in.

As humans, we share similarities with the rest of the physical creation. Our bodies are made of cells, protons, neutrons, and electrons—similar to other living beings like wild or domestic animals, like flowers and trees and even inanimate objects like stone, steel and planets.  While our connection with primates might appear undeniable, we are more than just another type of animal.  Analysis by academics have generally determined that our uniqueness lies in our capacity for reason, consciousness, and a sense of morality.  

I have a friend who recently had to go to a hospital for tests.  After the tests were completed, the consultant gave them their diagnosis and treatment plan.  They then handed my friend a leaflet and told them they didn’t have a leaflet explaining exactly what they had but this one was the closest.  I guess it goes to show that ailments like so many other things are difficult if not impossible to slot into specific categories.

In summary, the uniqueness of God’s creation lies not only in our physical bodies but also in our spiritual and intellectual capacities. We are part of a grand design, intricately woven by the Creator’s wisdom and love.

Prayer - Heavenly Father, what joy it is to know that you know everything about us.  Even the things that we get wrong can never separate us from Your unfailing love.  Help us to live out this truth in our lives, and may we try to do only those things that are pleasing in your sight.  We thank you, Father, that You know us so intimately and care for us so deeply. Help us to take all our concerns and all our thankfulness to you in prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ.  In Jesus' name we pray.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment